The California State PTA believes all children and youth have the right to live and attend school in a healthy environment free from avoidable environmental hazards.
In this section of the site, you’ll find resources to help “green” your school and community, partner information and dates of upcoming local events such as collection dates for e-waste roundups, hazardous waste and medical waste drop-offs. Share your unit’s collection event here.
Fundraising Activities & Conservation Ideas
- Have students sort their trash & separate recyclables. Consider composting stations!
- Celebrate Earth Day or Earth Week – Apr. 2018
- Start a School Garden or Mini-Class Gardens
- Host a Family Night Dedicated to Greening, Water Conservation, Drought Friendly Landscaping
- Take a Fieldtrip to West Basin (see details below)
- Book an Environment Focused Assembly
- Hold a Trash-Free Lunch Day or Week
- Walk to School Day
- Lights Out! Reading in Class
- Host a Recycling Drive once a month to help raise funds!
- Support a Student Club or Environmental Class
- Gently-Used Toy Donation Drive
- Consider Going Paper-Free with School Announcements and Handouts
- Create a Group of Students who Help Clean-Up Campus… consider incentives
- Funding Factory for Ink Toner & Cell Phone Recycling Fundraising Year-round
Events & Resources
- Teen Marine Night at Aquarium of the Pacific, Oct. 22, 2018
- Heal the Bay Nothin’ But Sand Beach Cleanup, Jan. 21 @ Torrance
- Heal the Bay Nothin’ But Sand Beach Cleanup, July 15 @ Redondo Beach
- Heal the Bay Coastal Cleanup Day, Sept. 16 @ 40 Location across LA
- Heal the Bay Nothin’ But Sand Beach Cleanup, Nov. 18 @ Hermosa Beach
- Free Water Education Programs for Your Students, West Basin (complimentary buses available to TUSD schools to Water Treatment Facility for 3rd-12th grade)
- Water Conservation Workshops & Events including Landscape Training & Rain Water Capture, West Basin
Electronic Waste (e-Waste), Hazardous Materials, Medical Waste Disposal and Recycling:
- Torrance Free Permanent Drop-Off Facilities @ San Pedro and Signal Hill
- Electronic Only Drop-Off Facility @ Torrance
- Sharps or Needles
- Used Motor Oil and Filters
- CFL (Compact Fluorescent Light) Bulbs
Additional Local Events:
- LA Dept. of Public Works Collection, Jan. 21 @ Hermosa Beach
- LA Dept. of Public Works Collection, Feb. 4 @ El Segundo
- LA Dept. of Public Works Collection, Feb. 18 @ Gardena
- Heal the Bay Adopt-a-Beach
- West Basin, Municipal Water District
- Torrance Hazardous Waste and Electronics Resources
- Torrance Public Works – Sanitation, Water, Storm Drains, Recycling & More
Earn recognition for your greening efforts with a California PTA Spotlight Award. Click here to apply.
All applications must be signed by your council and district president and received in the California State PTA office by 5:00 on February 1. Faxed or emailed applications will not be accepted.
Responses to questions should be typed and numbered, and the total narrative should not exceed 1,000 words in total per category/application form.
Attach up to a maximum of three additional single-sided pages of supplemental information. Letters of recommendation are not necessary. Supplemental materials must not be larger than 8 1/2″ x 11″.
No folders, sheet protectors, colored paper or three-dimensional attachments.
Unauthorized use of copyrighted materials is prohibited.
Submit original application.
The PTA Unit/Council Spotlight Award is solely a California State PTA program.
Learn about National PTA awards here.